As designated by the World Intellectual Property Organization, April 26th is World IP Day… Each year, WIPO and its Member States celebrate World Intellectual Property Day with activities geared towards increasing public understanding of what IP really means, and to demonstrate how the IP system fosters not only music, arts and entertainments, but also all the products and technological innovations that help to shape our world.
Some of the events and activities being organized by member states and organizations include:
To celebrate the Day, the Faculdade Autonomo de Direito (FADISP) or Law Faculty at the University of São Paolo is organizing a full day of events at the Auditorium of FADISP, Rua João Moura 313, São Paulo, on April 27. In the morning, beginning at 9.30 a.m., the public will be invited to a discussion led by a panel of experts, who will speak on the fight against piracy: the experts will include academics in the field, appropriate Government officials and legal practitioners. More information can be found at: www.fadisp.com.br
World IP Day is to be celebrated for four days, from 21 to 24 April. The theme for 2009 is ‘Recovery through Innovation,’ which is very topical in the current economic situation. The goal is, in accordance with the Finnish Innovation Strategy, to challenge all Finns to revise their thinking and to innovate.
- celebration of the cooperation agreement between the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala and the Registro de la Propiedad Intelectual, which will initiate a project of empowerment in IP, emphasizing patents and exchange of information, aimed at students, researchers and University teachers; and
- a cooperation agreement between the Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONCYT), the Secretaria de Ciencia y Tecnología (SENACYT) and the Registro de la Propiedad Intelectual, which supports activities connected with innovation and which is aimed at young people.
The Confederation of Indian Industry, in partnership with the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), Ministry of Commerce and Industry, will host celebrations in New Delhi on Sunday, April 26, 2009, with a National Seminar. The event will showcase India’s IPR initiatives and achievements, and recognize and reward inventors across the country for their contributions towards harnessing the intellectual capital of the country. Leaders from Indian industry and research will come together to engage with the general public on IP issues, highlighting the benefits of the system, and the role it plays in the growth and prosperity of the country.
To celebrate World Intellectual Property Day, activities have been planned including:
- a series of regional seminars on IPR protection and enforcement; and
- events around IP issues within the framework of a Forum 2009 entitled “Intellectual Property—X XI Century” in Moscow and in the regions of Russia.
To celebrate World IP Day 2009, the Intellectual Property Office is:
- hosting an Intellectual Property Celebration at the Science Museum in London for IP stakeholders on April 22, with attendance by invitation only;
- organizing an internal seminar on the theme of “Exploitation of IP University/Industry Research Projects” on April 24, with guest speakers from the academic and business communities; and
- offering Business Advice Open Day which is the largest, cross government business support road show of its kind, dedicated to providing free information and support to businesses, to be held in Maidstone on April 30.
Other World IP Day events
Filed under: Commentary on news & events, Innovation | Tagged: Innovation, intellectual property, World Intellectual Property Association | Leave a Comment »